Tuesday, March 20, 2007

promises, promises....and then a brain spill

they promise that Spring officially hits tonight.
Tell it to my frozen fingers!! 24º! but...it's supposed to hit the 50-60 mark this weekend...maybe it will stay.
but anyway...to the good stuff!!!
So I've been reading John MacArthur's devotional Book Drawing Near and WOW it's amazing....
Darryl's always been a big fan of MacArthur....so I wasn't surprised when he recommended this for a devotional...he digs deep and really gets me thinking. Right now I'm studying my identity in Christ....which is kind of cool because right now in Be Confident I'm reading about how the angels are meant to serve us, to minister to us...and how Christ is higher than the angels and how our role plays into it all...I haven't gotten very deep into that aspect of it, but I'm looking forward to it.
Anyway....back to MacArthur - He's in Ephesians right now, and this morning I was reading about how there was a "down payment" put on us...a seal securing our inheritance....how cool is that?? I mean, we've all dealt in down payments in one way or another...we put in that security deposit and we know that we will get that good or service because we secured it....but for God to put his seal, his security deposit on ME....I'm blown away....God's got me twice, by creation and by redemption...how can I possibly not serve?

There are days when it's hard to be a Christian...I'm sure everyone can agree...and one day as I was struggling with a test, I was questioning myself....wouldn't it be easier to give up? and then it hit me like a soccer ball off Pele's foot.....I MADE THIS CHOICE. I wasn't forced into this life. I chose it. I know that this is the most excellent way....and as soon as that brilliant epiphany hit...I had another...DUH...You're not in this alone. Not only do you have a counselor to go to...you have an instruction manual and a direct line to the manufacturer....which made me think even more (I know...you can smell the smoke) I've got all this info....so why am I not perfect? Well...first it's impossible....but I still have to strive....and then I realized that it takes a special kind of lazy to not run that race...and then the conviction fell.....
Here I have it all laid out on a silver platter, my cake, icing, sprinkles and even the ice cream....and all I have to do is reach out and take it. His part was so huge....and mine so small...and yet...I'm the one that finds it hard?
This morning's verse on my calendar also appears in my email:
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

With a promise like that....how can I do anything but fall on my face and serve?

2 comments:

Mrs. Guthrie said...

Amen, babe. ;)

Bug and Eye said...

God's cool, what more can I say?