Monday, April 09, 2007

Frailty of Life

Friday afternoon as I walked to lunch there was a rather large commotion on the street - fire trucks, flashing lights and a bus....and then we saw the tarps being raised around the scene - a woman had been hit and killed.

The next day I was headed to do some shopping and meet bug for dinner and a movie and got a text from our friend Wendie...her uncle had been killed the night before in a freak motorcycle accident.

I started to pray for the families of these people - amazing how frail our lives can be - how we feel invincible and then in a heartbeat - we feel vulnerable and weak.....Thank God for his assurance....his blessed hope and salvation, so that we can walk through the dark days knowing that even if that bus is headed for us - we can say "It is well with my soul."

Five years ago, Phil Hassey played that song on his violin for my brother's funeral - and I can still hear him playing and what a great comfort it brought to my heart and still does this day. "When peace like a river attendeth my way, when sorrows like sea billows roll, whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say...It is WELL it is WELL WITH MY SOUL" (emphasis mine).

Amazing thoughts to hold onto....even in that "valley of death" we fear no evil.....

As I dragged myself from my warm bed to my freezing room this morning, I wanted nothing more than to go right back to sleep....but Monday waits for no woman! (and I've discovered that my bed gets proportionally warmer and more comfortable the closer it gets to being the time I need to get out of it.....)

So I grabbed my Bible and devotionals and set to work....and read of the amazing love and sacrifices that were made so that we could enter the promised land. I read a stern warning against neglecting the word of God and how fear and doubt kept the Israelites wandering - while Joshua and Caleb were ready to walk forward in faith and to claim their promises....they were held back by those who feared....
It encouraged me to keep stepping forward....to not let other people's fears and doubts stop me from claiming what is mine - to take hold of those promises and know that no matter what comes...It will be well with my soul.

No comments: