Monday, April 13, 2015

The Meanest Thing in My House

What's the meanest thing in your house?

If you ask my daughter she'd probably tell you the "nap time rule."

For me, it's the scale.  It doesn't care that I feel insecure today. It doesn't care that I'm feeling incredibly unpretty right now and that I'm annoyed at my utter lack of willpower.
Nope. There it is.

Confirming what I already knew....I gained back everything I had lost.

I don't get it...all I did was stop exercising (boo winter), and ate whatever I felt like eating without regard to quantity or hour of day.....

....oh wait...

Being a full time mother is easily the hardest job I have ever done.  There are no vacation days, sick days or personal time. I can't even guarantee I'll get a shower every day.  I'm responsible for this whole other life....and it's funny, I thought once I became the parent I'd be the one in charge....but my schedule is still dictated by the inquisitive three year old wanting to know what that sound is, what color is that shirt, what's the hand gonna get to (we're working on telling time in home school), what are you doing, mommy? lather rinse repeat ad nauseum.

I should be at my skinniest.  And yet...I'm close to my heaviest.

The scale just sits there. It puts the display right up there on my tv not caring how harsh that number is.

Mean as it is, the scale is the reality check.  The reminder that maybe I should drink another glass of water instead of finding the bottom of the candy bowl and as much as I want it to be, chocolate is only a vegetable in memes.

It's time to pull the blender back out and remember that I really do like kale smoothies. (no, really, they are delicious with some frozen berries and vanilla protein powder!)
So today, I'll share some of my favorite "yes, you should eat this instead" type snacks.

Ironically, last night I made one of the healthiest dinners I've eaten in a very long time...
I made a sauce of fresh tomatoes, garlic, onions, fresh basil, oregeno, salt and pepper.  I added fresh mushrooms to that and instead of boiling up some pasta...I sliced some zucchini on my mandolin and made those into "noodles."  Even Bean ate it and liked it.

Kale Chips - rip kale into bite sized pieces and toss in olive oil and a little sea salt (if you like spice add some crushed red pepper) bake at 350º for around 20 minutes or until crispy then hit them with a touch of citrus (I like lime best) when the chips come out.  They're supposed to keep in an airtight container for like a week but I think they taste best fresh.

I belong to Spark People, and they are awesome at healthifying recipes - even delights like mozarella sticks so this one is from there.... take fat free or reduced fat string cheese, cut them in half, dip in egg wash, roll in panko, and bake on an olive oil greased pan until crunchy on the outside.

I know what I need to do. I just need to stop being mad that I got here and remember that I know full well the way out.

No comments: